April 10th, 2023
How to: Cleaning your Polyester Rug
Polypropylene rugs are known for their durability, affordability, and resistance to stains, making them a popular choice for many households. We do sell our own Rug Cleaner which has been really well received by many of our customers (More images below). We unfortunately don’t sell it online yet but hopefully we will soon. If you do have access to getting your rug professionally cleaned we would recommend that; this can all depend on the type of stain and the type of rug.
However, we have come up with a cost effective at home way to clean your rug!
Here are some steps to follow when cleaning your polypropylene rug:
- Start by removing any loose dirt or debris from the rug by vacuuming it thoroughly. Use a vacuum cleaner with a beater brush or a powerhead attachment for the best results.
- Next, mix a solution of mild detergent and warm water in a bucket. Use a ratio of one tablespoon of detergent per gallon of water.
- Test the cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the rug first to make sure it doesn’t cause any discoloration or damage.
- Dip a soft-bristled brush or a sponge into the cleaning solution and gently scrub the rug, working in small sections at a time. Avoid using too much water, as polypropylene rugs can absorb moisture and take a long time to dry.
- Once you have cleaned the entire rug, rinse it thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. *It is important to remove as much soap residue at possible otherwise it can attract dirt*
- Use a clean, dry towel or a squeegee to remove as much water as possible from the rug.
- Hang the rug to dry in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Make sure the rug is completely dry before placing it back on the floor.
- If your polypropylene rug has stubborn stains, you can try using a carpet cleaner or a specialized stain remover. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and test the product on an inconspicuous area first.
Remember to always check the manufacturer’s instructions for specific cleaning guidelines for your polypropylene rug, as some may have special care requirements.